Sunday, April 16, 2006

Good Friday was Wonderful


Ian, Bill, Puma and I hosted a cookout in honor of the arrival of springtime this past friday, and The Wonderful decided to seize the opportunity to put on our first-ever show. We figured it would be a low key thing, with just our friends, so we wouldn't be too nervous.

While Ian manned the grill, we set up our gear in the backyard on that weird concrete thing that might have been a chimney foundation or a firepit at one time. We borrowed Puma's friend Mark's PA speakers, set up some good ol' tiki torches, and strategically placed a milk-crate of noisemakers on a blanket in front of the "stage" to allow for audience participation. Once everything was in place, we attempted a semi-successful sound check, then got busy on some beer and burgers.

Soon, magic-hour (eight o'clock,) was upon us, and we started our set. It went surprisingly well, especially considering the fact that Zach didn't have a monitor and later said that he couldn't really hear anything we were doing. Evidently, though, no one really noticed. Or at least they were polite and said they didn't. Either way, we had a good time playing, and I don't think we effed up very much or very often, and afterwards a few people told me that they liked it, so overall, I'm gonna go ahead and call it a win.

After we played, Puma and Jin got up and did a few impromptu numbers, and they sounded great. I had just been wishing (while playing) that I could be in the audience to see and hear what it was like, and then sure enough I got my chance. While they were doing their thing, I have to say that I was really enjoying the moment - still a little dusky but getting dark, a cold beer in hand, friends around, and spring/summer just beginning.

That is to say, it was nice. Thanks to all y'all who made it out, and for those who didn't, we'll hopefully be scheduling more shows soon. I know we already have one possibly in the works - a house show on saturday the 29th - that we'll hopefully confirm or deny shortly.



the collector's item of the night - a genuine setlist, on a post-it, from The Wonderful's first live performance ever.

extra special bonus - a genuine grocery list I had in my pocket which i must admit, had me a little worried for a second when we were about to start playing.


Here are a few photos from the evening.

update 4/19: the show on the 29th will not be happening - but we're putting other things in motion. things like magic spells.











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home