Friday, February 23, 2007

Won't You Have Some Catnip Tea?

Of course, we've all seen those tracts (and fake million dollar bills) that the more hardcore evangelicals like to hand out or leave in conspicuous places for sinners to find, right? (here's a pretty wonderful example; with plenty of apocalyptic/paranoid/luddite messages to go around. They've got something tailored for everybody, from your favorite potential bird flu victim to those poor Harry Potter fans, and just a dash of almost inexplicable content too: see the list on the left sidebar (trolls? dwarves!?))

Anyway, the point: I followed a link to a website for The Aquarian Tabernacle Church - a pagan organization- and found something pretty awesome. These pagans have made some tracts of their own, and they're just too good not to pass along. They do a nice job of putting the topic of proselytizing in a different perspective, which has merit as a polictical message, and it's a nice bonus that they're pretty funny. Check em out: the "anti-tracts."

I do realize that this is now the second time I've blogged about Pagans putting the Fundies/Evangelicals in their place; I guess I have a soft-spot for 'em. But some of you must be wondering if I'm thinking of becoming a WARLOCK!! (or maybe you're asking yourself if I already am one...!)

Well, I'm sorry to say, I'm not. But I must also admit that while browsing this website beyond the tracts pages, I found lots of interesting and informative reading and, generally speaking, these paigs (as I'm going to henceforth call them) do bring up some good points, and usually make them in a fairly rational way. Of course, they're a little crazy their own selves, but if you can get past the fact that many pagans seem to be named after fragraces in an air-freshener line co-designed by Edgar Allen Poe and J.R.R. Tolkien (i.e. Raven Wood; Iron Oak; etc), at least enough to take them semi-seriously, the articles about Samhain, Yule, Wiccan/Pagan Origins, and a letter to the Pope are pretty fascinating.

1 Comments:

Blogger tuppenhut said...

have holden tell you his pagan students' association (psa) story.

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home